Language instruction tools just for the Institute community:
Pronunciator, web classes for 80+ languages*. They also offer access to 256 classes each week taught by teachers and 50 English as a second language options.
Please contact tucker @ias.edu who will give you a user name and password if you are off campus and would like to register.
- US Department of State, http://americanenglish.state.gov/materials-learning-english
- Live Mocha, http://livemocha.com/ offers free content such as lessons and study materials, but also offers premium subscription based tools. They also provide a language exchange section.
- BBC Learning English, http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/
- Internet TESL journal contains many bilingual quizzes, http://a4esl.org/
- ESL Podcasts, http://a4esl.org/podcasts/
- YouTube channels: Beginner: EF PodEnglish, English with Jennifer, EngVid ; hugosite
- more advanced or business: Chalk N'Talk,
Grammar and vocabulary:
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Purdue Online Writing Lab
- Dictionaries are also available in print from the HS-SS Library
- Princeton Public Library offers Pimsleur downloadable resources as well as CDs
- ESL Independent Study Lab provides a helpful guide to English resouces on the web, as well as links and tips to help prepare for TOEFL.
- Language Centre, resources for listening through radio stations and other media
- English Club
Social networking sites which provide access to native speakers
Resources specifically for:
- German speakers: http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/index.htm;
- German speakers: Babbel
- vocabulary http://iteslj.org/v/g/ ;
Resources for children:
- Princeton Public Library offers many programs and collections for children.
- Once you have a Princeton Public Library card your children will have access to Muzzy,. a language interface designed just for children.
- Tumblebooks is available through the local schools, contact Jennifer or Marcia for a user name and password if you are not yet in Princeton
- Riverside School ESL Teacher's page.
- Littlebrook School English resources page
- Fun and games through Princeton Public Library