This is a short list of resources intended to assist with identifying sources for freely available ebooks and ejournals. Please let us know if you have suggestions. Princeton University Library ebooks that are available by subscription may be found through the Princeton online catalog.
Books (Open without cost, except for some barriers, e.g. HathiTrust )
- HathiTrust preserves and provides access to scans of books and journals that were made by libraries, sometimes through Google Books, but also done by the Internet Archive and others. Logging in through the Institute's connection, "IAS via Princeton University" using your IAS credentials will allow you to download full text PDFs for titles that provide full access. HathiTrust is very useful as an index for all volumes held regardless of whether they are available full text.
- Not all libraries are partners with HathiTrust, many additional texts may be found through Google Books and the Internet Archive .
- The University of Pennsylvania hosts a very helpful resource, Online Books Page which is updated regularly. Information for multivolume sets often include links to multiple sites for the volumes.
- Karlsruher Virtual Catalog allows searching for fulltext through many catalogs.
- Gallica, Bibliothèque nationale de France
- OAPEN : Open Access Publishing in European Networks
- DOAB : Directory of Open Access Books
- Humanities Digital Library
- Gutenberg-e (American Historical Association in partnership with Columbia)
- Project Gutenberg
- Europeana Collections
- Digital Public Library of America
- Digital Book Index, subject guide and by search index
- Ejournal access is primarily through Open Access websites such as Core
- SSRN (Social Science Research Network)
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- Old Maps Online, 400,000 maps online from 1550-2000
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- Princeton University Library. Historic Maps Collection
- Harvard Map Collection
- University of Chicago, Brown, Yale,
- Library of Congress
- USGS topographic maps
- Other collections via a long list from Boston University